Reconstruction of post-burn scalp alopecia using tissue expansion in Erbil
AbstractBackground and objective: Reconstruction of post burn scalp alopecia using tissue expansion represents, nowadays, the standard method of treatment for this pathology. Tissue expansion is a straightforward technique, providing large skin flaps whose color and texture matches the area to be reconstructed, achieving optimal final aesthetic result. The aim of this study was to evaluate the results and complications of using tissue expansion for post burn scalp alopecia reconstruction. Methods: Thirty four patients having post burn scalp alopecia were treated with scalp tissue expansion, using forty tissue expanders at Rizgary Teaching Hospital in Erbil from February 2009 to December 2014. The age group ranged from 7-35 years and the mean age of the patients was 16 years. Statistical package for the social sciences (version 18) was used for data entry and analysis. Results: Complete reconstruction of post burn alopecia was achieved in 82.35% of the total patients with either a single or multiple sessions of expansions. The remaining 17.65% were benefited from reduction in the percentage of scar and recreation of anterior hair line. The size of scalp alopecia ranged between 4x7cm-11x20cm. Major complications occurred in 3 cases (8.8%), in which the expansion process was interrupted with removal of expander, while minor complications happened in 4 cases (11.76%), which did not interrupt the expansion. Conclusion: The use of tissue expansion for reconstruction of post burn alopecia is a useful and safe technique, since it is the only procedure that allows the development of normal hair bearing tissue to cover the areas of alopecia
Jincai F, Peiying Y. Aesthetic Reconstruction of Burn Alopecia by Using Expanded Hair-Bearing Scalp Flaps. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 1997; 21: 440-4.
Leedy JE, Janis JE, Rohrich RJ. Reconstruction of acquired scalp defects: an algorithmic approach. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005; 116: 54–72.
Lars-Peter Kamolz, Maike Keck, Harald Selig, David B. Lumenta. Reconstruction/Correction of burn alopecia. Reconstruction and Rehabilitation. Hand book of Burns. 1st ed. Vienna: Springer Vienna; 2012. P. 245-9.
Jincai F, Liqiang L, Jia T. Scalp Alopecia Reconstruction. Color Atlas of Burn Reconstructive Surgery. 1st ed. Berlin: Springer Heidelberg; 2010. P. 250-9.
Wieslander JB. Tissue expansion in the head and neck. A 6-year review. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg 1991; 25:47–56.
Bauer BS, Johnson P.E, and Lovato G. Application of Soft Tissue Expansion in Children. Clin Plast Surg 1987; 14: 549.
Iconomou TG, Michelow BJ, Zuker RM. Tissue Expansion in Pediatric Patient. Ann Plast Surg 1993; 31: 134.
Pasyk KA, Hassett C. Quantitative analysis of the thickness of human skin and subcutaneous tissue following controlled expansion with silicone implant. Plas Surg 1986; 92:127.
Cherry GW, Austad ED, Pasyk KA, Rohrich RJ. Increased survival and vascularity of random-pattern skin flaps elevated in controlled expanded skin. Plas Reconstr Surg 1983; 72:680- 5.
Leonard A. G., Small J.O. Tissue expansion in the treatment of alopecia. British J Plast Surg 1986; 39: 42-56.
Hudson DA, Grob M. Optimizing results with tissue expansion: 10 simple rules for successful tissue expander insertion. BURNS 2005; 31: 1-4.
Argenta LC, Austad ED. Principles and techniques of tissue expansion. McCarthy JG, Litter JW. Plastic Surgery. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1990.
Cunha MS, Nakamoto HA, Herson MR, Faes JC, Gemperli R, Ferreira MC. Tissue expander complication in plastic surgery: A 10 year experience. Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med 2002; 57:93- 7.
Awad MM. The effect of tissue expanders on the growing craniofacial skeleton. Indian J Plastic Surgery 2006; 39:22- 8.
Mira S. Tissue regeneration during tissue expansion and choosing an expander. Indian J Plast Surg 2012; 45: 7-15.
Hafezi F, Naghibzadeh B, Pegahmer M. Use of overinflated tissue expanders in the surgical repair of head and neck scars. JPRAS 2008; 20: 1-8.
Zaki MS. The use of tissue expansion for reconstruction of post burn alopecia: Annals of MBC. 1989: 22:2.
Motamed S, Niazi F, Atarian S, Motamed A. Post burn head and neck reconstruction using tissue expanders. BURNS 2007; 34:878-84.
Chao JJ, Longaker MT, Zide BM. Expanding horizons in head and neck expansion. Operative techniques. Plast Reconstr Surg1998; 5:2-11.
Salih Y. Scalp reconstruction using tissue expanders. Egypt J Plast Reconstr Surg 2004; 28:71-5.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The copyright on any article published in Zanco J Med Sci is retained by the author(s) in agreement with the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial ShareAlike License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0).